Mermaid Greeting Farm Card





This sweet little mermaid is from the greeting farm stamps. I absolutely adore her. I think I ended up with 4 variations of this card but this one is my favorite. I also made one in blue, pink & purple.

The background was done by taking some Tim Holtz distress ink and squishing some down on a craft mat; one in broken china and the other color in scattered straw. I then spritzed the inked areas with a light spray of water to get them blending. I took some water color paper and smushed it down through the colors. This will put a very light coat of color on your paper so you may want to let your paper dry and then do it again. Once I dried mine I lightly tapped areas in left over blotches of color which is how you get the darker splotches. I just think it adds a bit of dimension that way.

For the mermaid I also used more distress markers. Her hair is marmalade over scattered straw. I painted in the highlights first on all the bumps of her hair and then went back in with the darker shade in all the dips. I did all this by putting some color down on the craft mat with the stamp pad and then using a paint brush. It just gives me more control and I feel that it blended better than trying to color first and then blend it out with the pen. I did her tail in much the same way. I used some moss and evergreen and tried to give it some dimension. I went over her tail & top with rock candy stickles as well which doesn't show well here.

The card base & background were cut out using my nested circle dies. I just used plain black background because I thought it set off the mermaid nicely. I folded a small edge on the back circle and attached it to the front of the card so it still opens but doesn't bend the front panel.

No comments